Updated news on the Gambino, Genovese, Bonanno, Lucchese and Colombo Organized Crime Families of New York City.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Homicide investigation widening

Though the investigation into the slaying last week of Mario Imbesi appears to be intensifying, police so far have not asked for help from outside agencies, including the FBI, a police spokesman said Friday.
"I don't see us asking other federal agencies, or any agency, to be involved," said Capt. Thomas Wendel, though he admitted that the case was on the FBI's radar.
"I wouldn't say they will never step in. (However), there's no reason right now to believe that they will become involved."
While court documents show that Imbesi had only peripheral involvement in the Adolfo "Big Al" Bruno murder-for-hire case, questions remain about whether Imbesi's death was a contract hit.
Bruno, a Genovese capo, was gunned down by one of his former lieutenants.
Police discovered Imbesi's body on March 16 in the second-floor apartment he rented at the Farview Terrace condominium complex.
The state medical examiner declared on Monday that Imbesi had died of blunt force trauma from a blow to the head.
Little is known about the man, who neighbors say tended to keep to himself.
After moving to Danbury from Port Chester, N.Y. three years ago, Imbesi led what was, by all accounts, a sedate life.
He took a job at ATP LLC, a Bethel-based printed tape manufacturing company where he served as a plant manager until his death, according to an online obituary.
An ATP spokeswoman on Thursday refused to comment on Imbesi's tenure with the company.
Born on Feb. 17, 1969 to Domenico and Francesca Imbesi, the obituary said, he grew up in Port Chester and graduated from Port Chester High School in 1987.
The Imbesi family declined to discuss the case on Wednesday.
"Danbury police are conducting an investigation, and the family has no comment at this time," said Albert Schnell, the husband of Imbesi's sister, Emilia, and the family's spokesman.
Schnell said the family was "devastated" by the news of Imbesi's death, but he declined to comment further.
Imbesi is survived by his parents, his wife, Gina, his daughters Brianna and Alessandra, his parents, and his sister.
Funeral services are scheduled for Friday in Port Chester.
Imbesi's links to the high-profile murder case surfaced last year.
His grand jury testimony against former mob hit man turned government informant Frankie Roche emerged during the 2010 federal trial of Fotios "Freddy" Geas, a Genovese crime family henchman who was later found guilty of crimes that included racketeering and murder.
Geas is serving a life sentence.
Federal prosecutors argued that at Geas' behest, Roche pumped several rounds into Bruno, the Genovese capo, on a Springfield, Mass. street in 2003.
Court documents show that a rift had developed between the two men after Roche trashed a Springfield bar, drawing Bruno's ire.
Imbesi in his testimony spelled out Roche's defiant response.
"Frank's attitude at the time was, you know, he was above and beyond everybody else. So he said: `He's looking for me? OK, so I went and found (Bruno),'" Imbesi had said, according to court records.



Post a Comment