Adsense new ad unit

Saturday, August 29, 2015

NYC settles final lawsuits linked to Mafia Cops

The remaining five civil cases connected to 'Mafio Cop' Louis Eppolito (r.) and his fellow corrupt cop were finally wrapped up this week.
The final tab is official — the murderous NYPD Mafia Cops have cost taxpayers a whopping $18.4 million to settle seven lawsuits with the families of their innocent and mobbed-up slay victims.

The remaining five civil cases were wrapped up this week with a total payout of $8.4 million to the survivors of two Gambino made men, two Lucchese mobsters and a mob-connected painters' union leader.

"These settlements bring to a close incidents that occurred in the late 1980s and early 1990s involving two rogue detectives acting at the behest of organized crime," said a city Law Department spokesman. "In light of court rulings during the litigation, it was in the city's best interest to settle these cases."

Federal Judge Raymond Dearie had ruled the case should go to trial because there was sufficient evidence that the victims would not have been whacked had then-NYPD Commissioner Benjamin Ward booted Louis Eppolito off the force in 1984 when the corrupt detective was caught red-handed leaking confidential information to a mobster.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs deposed former police officials involved in Eppolito's disciplinary case including a retired Supreme Court justice, a former deputy commissioner, NYPD lawyers and investigators — and could not solve the mystery of Eppolito beating the charges despite an mountain of evidence against him.

Stephen Caracappa (l.) and Eppolito were on the payroll of the Lucchese crime family for years and personally carried out some hits.

"I think the people we questioned, other than those who couldn't remember, were so afraid that this could come back to haunt them in a bad way," said lawyer Mark Longo who represented the mother of mistaken identity murder victim Nicholas Guido whose lawsuit settled for $5 million.

The city agreed to pay $1.85 million to the estate of Lucchese soldier Anthony DiLapi; $1.8 million to Lucchese associate John "Otto" Heidel; $1.75 million to painter's union head and informant James Bishop; $1.5 million each to Gambino capo Edward Lino and soldier Bartholomew "Bobby" Borriello. The wife of diamond dealer Israel Greenwald received $5 million.

Eppolito and Stephen Caracappa were on the payroll of the Lucchese crime family for years, providing information on the victims to underboss Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso, and they personally carried out some of the hits.

They are both convicted of eight murders and are serving life sentences — while still collecting their NYPD pensions.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/nypd-mafia-cops-lawsuits-finally-settled-article-1.2341014

Monday, August 24, 2015

Vinny Gorgeous gets moved out of Supermax prison for good behavior

Vinny’s got gorgeous new digs.

Better than the hellhole Supermax prison in Colorado, that is, where ex-Bonanno crime boss Vincent "Vinny Gorgeous" Basciano had been rotting since 2011 after he was convicted of racketeering and murder.

Basciano, 55, was recently sprung from the most infamous jail in the nation to a high-security facility located on the same 31-acre compound in Florence, Colo., the Daily News has learned. The exact date of the transfer is unclear.

The flamboyant mobster was caged at the Supermax in 2011, after he was convicted of ordering a mob murder, because he was also suspected of drawing up a hit list while awaiting a separate racketeering and murder trial that included Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis, a federal prosecutor and cooperating witnesses. He was convicted in the second trial, but never officially charged with drawing up the hit list.


Now, the special administration measures ordered by the attorney general that kept Basciano in almost total isolation in the prison’s notorious “H Block” are history. So is the 23-hour-a-day confinement to a cell.

The Bureau of Prisons did not respond to a request for comment, nor did Basciano’s appellate lawyer, but sources said he apparently graduated from a Supermax “step-down program,” which rewards inmates for good behavior with a transfer to a less-restrictive jail.

“Inmates who continue to demonstrate positive institutional adjustment for 12 months are referred for transfer to another facility,” according to documents on the bureau website.

The Supermax in Florence, Colo., holds Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski, shoe bomber Richard Reid and the so-called 20th 9/11 hijacker, Zacarias Moussaoui.

Not everyone is eligible. Basciano has bade farewell to the terrorists Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski, shoe bomber Richard Reid and the so-called 20th hijacker of 9/11, Zacarias Moussaoui, who are all lifers at Supermax because they are deemed to be so dangerous.

Basciano can say hello to new neighbors at Florence High Security, such as Green River Killer Gary Ridgway, who murdered at least 49 women, and would-be terrorist Walli Mujahidh, who was convicted of plotting to attack a military base.

Florence High Security is a penitentiary for nearly 700 inmates and features a soccer field, a softball field and an outdoor area to worship, according to the Bureau of Prisons website. The jail is rimmed by 3,000 feet of fencing and razor wire.

Basciano had been kept in almost total isolation at the Supermax, spending most of each day confined to his cell.

Although Basciano will be able to mingle with other inmates, room with a bunkmate and play sports, Florence High is no walk in the park, said prison expert Cheri Nolan.

“It’s still very tough time,” Nolan told The News. “But there’s nothing else in the U.S. like Supermax.”

If Basciano stays out of trouble, the next step could be a ticket out of Colorado and to a penitentiary closer to his family in the Bronx.

Basciano is serving two life sentences and will only leave prison for good in a body bag.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/exclusive-mobster-rewarded-move-colo-supermax-article-1.2335280

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Turncoat Gambino family enforcer reveals his secrets


Gambino crime family names Franky Boy Cali its new boss

Frank Cali (seen in 2008) has reportedly been elevated to acting boss of the Gambino crime family.http://aboutthemafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/frank-cali.jpg
The leadership of the Gambino crime family has reportedly been passed from a Sicilian old fella to a Sicilian younger fella.
Frank Cali, 49, of Staten Island, who has served on the family’s ruling panel for several years, has been elevated to acting boss, replacing 68-year-old Domenico Cefalu, the website Ganglandnews.com reported Thursday.
Cali, who was born in Sicily, has deep mob ties. He is related by marriage to members of organized crime in Sicily; his wife is the niece of Gambino capo John Gambino, and his brother Joseph and brother-in-law Peter Inzerillo are reputed Gambino soldiers.

Federal prosecutors have marveled at Cali’s meteoric rise to power in the crime family’s post-Gotti era.
He became a powerful capo before the age of 40, less than a decade after he became an inducted member, according to court papers. Cali has just one criminal conviction: a federal extortion charge for which he was sentenced to 16 months in prison.
A wiseguy in Italy was secretly taped several years ago gushing about Cali’s stature in New York City, “He is everything over there.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/staten-island-mobster-takes-gambino-leadership-report-article-1.2332886

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Judge approves Lucchese gangster's four day Poconos vacation

Organized crime allegations won't get in the way of his vacation plans.
A reputed Lucchese mobster accused of extorting a 71-year-old Staten Island man can vacation at a Poconos resort as he awaits prosecution on racketeering charges.
Michael Capra, 51, who lives in Smithtown, L.I., made the request to travel on Monday – a day before his scheduled four-day trip to the Pocono Mountains in Tannersville, Pa.
"We apologize for the short notice but Michael's son suffers from depression and emotional issues and this trip is to take him to a resort for a few days," wrote Capra's lawyer, Joseph R. Conway, in a letter to U.S. District Court Justice Sandra L. Townes.
The judge granted his request on Tuesday.
Capra remains free on $500,000 bail, after he and his brother Daniel were arrested in September 2013 on federal extortion charges.
It's the second time he's been granted leave to go to a Poconos resort -- last February, he was allowed to spend three days at the Camelback Mountain and Ski Resort in Tannersville with his wife and 12-year-old daughter.
He and his brother, both reputed Lucchese associates, are accused of threatening a 71-year-old Staten Island man at the behest of capo Carmine Avellino to collect a $100,000 loan owed by another man in 2010.
The Staten Island man had intervened on his acquaintance's behalf, asking if the man could have more time paying back the loan, according to documents filed in Brooklyn federal court.
Michael Capra was arrested after a police standoff at his home in Smithtown. His wife told FBI agents she hadn't seen him when they came calling with a warrant, then locked the door when the agents offered to come inside and look for him, according to federal documents.
His attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment Tuesday.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/reputed_mobster_accused_of_sha.html

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Son of DeCavalcante mobster pleads guilty in plot to open prostitution business

The son of a man federal prosecutors say is a ranking member of a New Jersey crime family pleaded guilty Wednesday to plotting to open up a high-end escort service that would cater to well-heeled businessmen in the Toms River area.

Anthony Stango, 34, also pleaded guilty to charges of distributing more than $70,000 worth of cocaine and possessing a shotgun during an appearance before U.S. District Court Judge William Walls.

Stango, also known as "Whitey," faces at least five years in prison according to the terms of a plea agreement reached with New Jersey federal prosecutors. Walls ordered Stango to remain on home detention in Brick until his sentencing on Nov. 24, 2015.

Stango is the son of Charles Stango, who federal prosecutors say is a longtime captain in the DeCavalcante crime family, an organized criminal group said to be the inspiration for the HBO series "The Sopranos."

Federal prosecutors say Stango had several phone conversations with his father to discuss how to open and operate a profitable prostitution business without attracting the suspicions of law enforcement.

Charles Stango, then living in Nevada, warned his son not to fall prey to greed, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court at the time of their March 2015 arrest along with eight other members or associates of the DeCavalcante family.

"The bulls and the bears, Anthony, they survive," the father told his son according to the complaint.

"The pigs they get slaughtered. Ok? Always go for a bologna sandwich. Ok? You know?....If you got five bologna sandwiches, you're eating pretty good."

And Stango admitted owning a 12-gauge pump action shotgun purchased in New York in violation of a federal law prohibiting convicted felons of possessing a firearm.Stango also admitted Wednesday that on three separate occasions in 2014 and 2015, he sold cocaine to an undercover federal law enforcement agent.

The prostitution business never opened but, in recorded conversations with his father, Stango worked through the details, federal prosecutors say.

"You need to protect yourself with what you're doing now," Charles Stango told his son, according to the complaint. "You have to be smart, very smart, you can't just do something that everyone else is doing. Ok?"

The plan included opening up a legitimate club that would function as a front for the prostitution business, prosecutors say.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/son_of_accused_sopranos_mobster_admits_plot_to_run.html#incart_river