Updated news on the Gambino, Genovese, Bonanno, Lucchese, and Colombo Organized Crime Families of New York City.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Former New England mob boss Baby Shacks pleads not guilty again


The reputed former boss of New England’s Patriarca crime family, Luigi “Baby Shacks” Manocchio, pleaded not guilty for a second time Friday morning on federal charges of extortion and conspiracy.
Manocchio, 84, entered the plea through his attorney before U.S. Magistrate Judge David Martin in a federal courtroom in Providence. Manocchio previously pleaded not guilty in February after the original indictment was filed. Prosecutors filed a second superseding indictment in his case last week.
Martin ordered that Manocchio remain in prison at the Wyatt Detention Center in Central Falls while he awaits trial. Manocchio’s lawyer, the high-profile Boston defense attorney Joseph Balliro, told the court he plans to make another request for Manocchio to be released on bail.
Balliro told Martin he will argue “circumstances have changed” since Manocchio was denied bail last spring. U.S. Justice Department trial attorney Sam Nazzaro said the government will argue Manocchio should remain in detention, citing additional evidence against him included in the superseding indictment.
Prosecutors say Manocchio forced local strip clubs to pay him protection money for years and allege he has maintained close ties to New England’s La Cosa Nostra since formally stepping down as its kingpin around 2009. They also say they have made members of the Patriarca family prepared to testify against Manocchio.
Manocchio appeared in court for less than 20 minutes, arriving handcuffed and clad in a tan prison suit with close-cropped hair. He looked energetic and alert, discussing defense strategy with Balliro and quickly springing to his feet when asked the judge asked him to rise.
Martin ordered Manocchio’s lawyers to file their briefs in the case by Dec. 16 and told the government to file its responses by Dec. 30. He said the case would be ready to go to trial as soon as Jan. 3 under the current schedule.
Eight men have now been charged in the high-profile case that burst into public view on Jan. 19, when Manocchio was arrested at a Florida airport as part of what the FBI described as the largest single-day organized- crime bust in its history.

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/target_12/inside_mafia/providence-luigi-baby-shacks-manocchio-pleads-not-guilty?2


0 comments:

Post a Comment