Updated news on the Gambino, Genovese, Bonanno, Lucchese and Colombo Organized Crime Families of New York City.

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Man linked to the Genovese family commits suicide day after he was suppose to turn himself in

A 59-year-old Saddle River man who local authorities said was supposed to turn himself in just one day before to the U.S. Marshals Service jumped to his death from the top deck of the Hackensack University Medical Center parking garage Wednesday evening, authorities said.
Edward Cobb was supposed to turn himself in on Tuesday but failed to appear, and a warrant was issued for his arrest on Wednesday, said Capt. Timothy Lloyd of the Hackensack police. He said that city police were told that Cobb was wanted on a burglary charge.
Cobb was transported to the hospital emergency room after police officers, who had been called by hospital security, arrived on the scene, Lloyd said. He was pronounced dead at 6:50 p.m. Local police learned about the warrant when they conducted a background check, Lloyd said. He did not have details about the charges against Cobb.
Federal court documents show an Edward Cobb, an alleged member of a crime family who had pleaded guilty to charges related to 2003 home invasions in Morris County and Orange County, N.Y., was scheduled to turn himself in to authorities Tuesday after years of delays caused by alleged health problems.
He entered a plea agreement in 2008 to those charges as part of a plea agreement in which prosecutors said they would not pursue further charges against him “for his involvement on behalf of and in furtherance of the Genovese Crime Family of La Cosa Nostra between 2003 and the date of this agreement.” The initial charges against him included an alleged conspiracy to commit robbery in Bergen County.
Prosecutors said Cobb had been putting off his surrender by saying he had a series of medical conditions that included 13 surgeries in one year, a hip replacement, cancer and dementia. Prosecutors wrote in court papers last year: “Collectively, one would think that Mr. Cobb is ready for hospice care. A condition that would seem to preclude a recent casual dinner at a local restaurant, as the Government has been advised.”
The U.S. Attorney's Office were unavailable for comment on Wednesday night and did not respond to messages. Officials with the U.S. Marshals Warrant Squad in Newark also were unavailable for comment.
Cobb's attorney, Michael Baldassare said his client was a good family man.
"Ed Cobb was a loving husband and devoted father. This is a terrible tragedy and the loss of a very good man,'' said Baldassare. "The family asks for prayers and privacy at this difficult time. "
A medical center spokeswoman, Nancy Radwin, confirmed in an email that “an apparent suicide” had happened on hospital grounds and that police were investigating the matter.



Post a Comment