Updated news on the Gambino, Genovese, Bonanno, Lucchese and Colombo Organized Crime Families of New York City.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Montreal homicide victim had close ties to Mafia: cops

Montreal police officers at a home in Rivière des Prairies, Montreal, Thursday February 1, 2011, where a man was found dead with gunshot wounds.

The city’s latest homicide victim is believed to have had close ties to the highest levels of the Mafia, according to police sources.
At first glance, the shooting death of Antonio Di Salvo, 44, appears to be related to ongoing violence within people linked to the criminal organization which was significantly destabilized by Project Colisée.
According to a police source, Di Salvo was known to associate with members of the Rizzuto organization before Mafia leaders and their associates were arrested in November 2006 in the major Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit investigation. Two people in particular Di Salvo was known to associate with were Francesco Del Balso and Francesco Arcadi. 
Both men are currently serving lengthy prison terms they received after pleading guilty to charges related to Colisée. Arcadi was considered to be the Rizzuto organization’s street boss, a position that required him to manage many aspects of the organization’s activities, including drug trafficking. Del Balso worked directly underneath Arcadi and, among other things, made sure his orders were carried out.
By comparison, Di Salvo’s criminal record is relatively insignificant. According to provincial court records, Di Salvo was convicted of offences related to impaired driving during the 1990s. He was charged with taking part in a criminal conspiracy in 1990 but was cleared of the charge three months later.
According to the Montreal police, Di Salvo’s body was discovered by a friend Monday evening. Major crimes investigators were called to the house, on Perras Blvd. in Rivière des Prairies, after it became apparent the victim had been shot in the head at least once.
Di Salvo, who was married but had no children, moved into the newly built home in 2007.
No arrests have been made in connection with the homicide, the sixth reported on the Montreal Island so far this year.


Post a Comment