Updated news on the Gambino, Genovese, Bonanno, Lucchese and Colombo Organized Crime Families of New York City.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Two recently released Lucchese mobsters test positive for coronavirus during home confinement

Baldy and Boobsie got the bug.
Two convicted Lucchese mobsters who got sprung from federal jails early over fears they would catch coronavirus promptly tested positive as soon as they got into home confinement.
It’s not clear how or when Michael "Baldy Mike" Spinelli, 66, and Eugene "Boobsie" Castelle, 60, contracted the potentially deadly disease.
Castelle began experiencing COVID-19 symptoms on April 16 while living at home -- roughly 17 days after a judge let him out of his federal lock up in Danbury, Conn.
An asymptomatic Spinelli -- who was supposed to be living 24/7 at his house -- tested positive on June 22, nearly two months after his May 5 release from Manhattan federal jail. Spinelli only learned he had the disease when he got swabbed before a colonoscopy.
The two ex-Lucchese crime family soldiers have now used their coronavirus-positive state to delay next steps in their criminal sentences.
Spinelli is supposed to be locked up until 2029 for his role in the brutal 1992 attempted murder of innocent mom Patricia Capozzalo — whose only crime was being the sister of a mob snitch. Spinelli, who stalked her for weeks before the hit, was the getaway driver who ferried the triggerman to the place where Capozzalo was to be murdered. Capozzalo was hit in the neck, ear and back, but somehow survived the attempt on her life.
Castelle was convicted of racketeering in 2019 for his role in helping run an illegal sports betting website for the crime family and threatening violence to collect mob debts.
Spinelli, who wants to become a yoga teacher, was released in early May by federal judge Raymond Dearie pending a resentencing in his case. He was ordered to surrender himself into federal custody later that month after his hearing, but got the date pushed back because of his positive COVID-19 test.
On Friday, his lawyer submitted papwork asking that Spinelli’s return to prison be delayed yet again.
“Certainly, it is in no one’s interest for Mr. Spinelli to bring the virus into any prison,” attorney Mia Eisner-Grynberg wrote.
The judge allowed Spinelli to remain out until July 31 and ordered him two get tested every two weeks.
Castelle’s positive test caused federal prosecutors to request a delay in installing his electronic ankle monitor so he could continue to quarantine.
Hundreds of federal inmates in New York City have applied for release from prison due to the coronavirus pandemic, but only a few dozen have been let out. 



Post a Comment